Monday, June 29, 2009

A Little Bit of Cardiff in America



So, dear readers, I have returned out of the ether to add the Yank's view of Torchwood, and I came across a great opportunity for anyone to learn a little bit more about Wales, home to Torchwood, amongst many exciting artisans and craftspeople.

The 2009 Smithsonian Folk Life Festival in Washington, DC is featuring Wales this year as the country being showcased. The annual festival gives visitors a chance to learn all about Wales from attendants chosen by the Welsh Assembly to showcase the creativity and ingenuity of the Welsh people.

From organic farmers, to animators, the festival offered much to see and do. I had the good fortune to chat with many there, and one of the more common subjects discussed is that Americans have become more curious to learn about Wales because of the airing of Torchwood here in the United States.

So I wondered, "WWCJD?" (What would Captain Jack do?) Since I was with my family, randomly snogging aliens seemed right out, so I found myself befriending a pint of Cwrw Braf, while enjoying some smoked ham and Y-Fenni. (My new favorite I may add.)

The Folk Life festival is FREE all you need to do is come to Washington DC between now and July 5th and stand physically somewhere between the United States Capitol Building and the Washington Monument to experience a little bit of Wales for yourself. Oh, and while you're there, tell the artisans how much you love Torchwood! (They love to hear that you've been watching, they are proud of their show!)

For more info: http://www.festival.si.edu/2009/wales/index.aspx

Enjoy!
-Tremas

4 comments:

load-of-tosh said...

Wow, that's pretty neat.
I'd be curious to hear a bit more about the exhibitors' reactions when you mentioned Torchwood... I'm guessing it was all positive "yay for our country!" as opposed to "ugh, I'm so sick of those aliens"?

Tremas said...

You know, it was all positive. One of the exhibitors, who was a nice lady who represented the Welsh National Parks said she works with many children, and that she has heard a lot of American children who visit mention the show. This curioscity makes them more interested in learning more, which makes them even more surprised to see what Wales has to offer.

load-of-tosh said...

@Tremas:

Aw, that's so neat. (Although kids watching Torchwood? Umm...?!?) =)

Anonymous said...

i live in cardiff and i know literally all the places they film torchwood. Its so funny lookin at all the places you know and have been to. They even filmed near my house once