Monday, October 29, 2007

One For the Price of Two

I can today confirm that Torchwood will be heading onto HD-DVD and Blu Ray disks sometime early 2008. The series, which was filmed and broadcast in High Definition, was initially touted for a HD release, but this failed to materialise because 2 Entertain (the home entertainment arm of the BBC) couldn't decide which format - HD-DVD or Blu Ray - to support.

Now, following the likes of Planet Earth and Robin Hood the series will be released on both formats, as a a complete series one package (presumably around January or February time to tie in with the launch of series two on BBC Two). I have no information on whether Warner will release the HD boxsets over in the USA, or elsewhere around the world.

The boxset will have the same content as the standard definition edition, which goes on sale November 19th with an RRP of £54.99. No price tag has been attached to the HD edition. More news on this as and when it comes in.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Does anyone know if you can play HDDVD or Blu Ray on standard DVD players? If so I'd rather buy the HD version

Anonymous said...

Well, this American boy has just found Torchwood, and I am in love. I have seen episodes 6, 7, & 8 and I am blown away. What a jewel! I haven't had this much fun watching TV since Arested Development left the airways. Keep up the GREAT work!

Anonymous said...

Other anonymous, Blu Ray and HD DVD use different types of lasers not only from each other but also from DVD. So the answer to your question is no you cannot play HD DVD or Blu Ray discs on a standard DVD player.

Anonymous said...

I have a HD DVD recorder (apparently, it doesnt record very well) so i might make the most of it....maybe...

Anonymous said...

I'll have to buy both.

Anonymous said...

Doesn't matter if Warner releases it in NA, at least for HD DVD owners, since HD DVD has no region coding whatsoever.

It'll be expensive to import to Canada, but SO WORTH IT.

Anonymous said...

Any updates on this now that Blu-ray is the winning format? I checked Amazon for pre-orders, but it isn't listed yet. I can't wait to get my hands on Season 1 on Blu-ray. I've got my DVR full of the HDNet HD airings of the season, but would love to have the boxed set. Thanks!

Mark

Anonymous said...

Mark: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Torchwood-Complete-Blu-ray-John-Barrowman/dp/B00153NORM

:) it'll be released in blu ray. HD-DVD isn't manufactured anymore.