Wednesday, October 29, 2008

The End is Nigh!

Time for me to stand om my soapbox again...

If you haven't already heard, David Tennant announced what has been the subject of conjecture for some time; he is going to be leaving the TARDIS after the next season. (If you hadn't heard, don't fret, I linked the article to the title of this posting.)

While you may be wondering why I make mention of the good Doctor's exploits on a Torchwood blog, it is in my humble opinion that without David Tennant's portryal of the good Galifreyan, we might not have ever had Torchwood to begin with.

Whether or not you find yourself a Whovian or not, we all must agree that Torchwood was introduced as a plot element of Doctor Who, specifically David Tennant's incarnation. If David hadn't made his Doctor so vibarant, so human, we wouldn't have cared. And for David's contributions, all fans of Torchwood need to be thankful.

History has shown us a myriad of science fiction contributions that are all flash, but no substance. In fact, some have argued as much of the original series of Doctor Who. But David made his Doctor transcend British television to become a staple of mainstream television and popular culture all over the world, a feat that even the great Tom Baker was not able to achieve. For years to come, when people think of Doctor Who, many will rightfully think of David Tennant. While I understand why the decision was made, it is hard to accept nonetheless.

In closing, I leave an open personal note to David. You've made some of the most enjoyable and compelling Science Fiction, and we look forward to your final five hours. For many of us long time fans, you've justified our love of the series, and helped endear many new fans in the process. So I thank you.

-Tremas

16 comments:

Anthony Garnon said...

Agreed; three cheers to the Tenth Doctor, and the man behind the magic :)

Anthony.

Anonymous said...

What, no love for Chris Eccleston, the original reincarnation of our favorite Doctor? Jeez...

Anonymous said...

Love DT Love DT Love DT!
Will miss him like crazy!

But there wouldn't have been TW w/o Chris E. Not DT. But let's not quibble. Thanks to RTD we had both!

Tremas said...

Tremas responds to his critics:

Don't get me wrong, Christopher Eccleston was brilliant in his portryal of the Doctor, I was always miffed that he chose to abandon it after just one season though...

Let's face it, he had a lot of potential, and could have gone so many places with his Doctor. But when faced with the opportunities he had, perhaps I would have done the same thing...

Tremas.

Anonymous said...

DT was the best. I never thought anyone would lodge TB's space in my heart...but he did and rightly so. He will always be my doctor and I wish David all the best in the future.

Anonymous said...

Apparently John Barrowman is leaving Torchwood?

I personally don't believe it, but my dad seems to think it's true x

Could you please put me right? x

nojarama said...

As much as DT was wonderful as the Doctor (and CE was great too!), I think it IS time for a regeneration (which is only fitting with RTD's exit as well). Any of the suggestions by BBC Anglophile & others could be a good fit (I think Eddie Izzard would be perfect myself). There's someone else that was mentioned awhile ago amongst the fans that I forgot about (along with the hilarious notion of Jennifer Saunders- of which if that did happen, would most likely last one episode, maybe for for a "Children In Need" special).

And yes, three cheers to RTD, CE and DT for regenerating our interest in all-things Dr. Who!

Anonymous said...

Nice information . thanx for sharing.. keep it up ... and nice blog..


Celebrity Wallpapers

Anonymous said...

not sure why you think DT had anything to do with TW TW was an idea even before DW returned and CJH was intorduced in series one when CE was the doctor and in series 3 when CJH returned to DW,with DT as the Dcotor,the first season of TW had finished
do agree David Tennent will be missed liked CE but one season is difficult to judge what might had been. also think JB and DT together are great but best wishes to DT sorry to see you go

Anonymous said...

I think what he means is that if DT didn't do a good job, people wouldn't have bothered to watch. So we wouldn't have had TW. DT was smashing! Well miss you!!!

Anonymous said...

DT has been great i agree and can see how that might have helped TSJC i would think sarah jane more so. because TW was there before DT so him being great can not see how much that would affect TW and sarah jane retuned with DT as the DR guess Cpt Jack retuning to DW might get some Who fans to turn on TW. JB and DT work so well together
alot of fun to watch but to say DT is the reason TW exist or has been a hit well just do not see the reasoning it has to do with JB, GDL,EM,NM and BG not some actor on another show no matter how good a DR do wish DT would had played the DR one more whole season
do wish you would explain more would be nice to hear your thoughts

Anonymous said...

DT will be missed and I understand that some people are very emotional at the moment, but what you said about DT and TW makes no sense.

It sounds like you have no idea what you're talking about. Maybe you could inform yourself before posting?

There was no need to add some made up stuff about TW to justify a post about DT leaving.

Brandon said...

Well, it takes a bit of time for the info to cross the pond I suppose. Very sorry to hear DT will be leaving, but I'm sure will get a fantastic! replacement. CE leaving was terrible, and DT didn't grow on me until halfway through the Season 2. Let's all appreciate DT while we have him, and be open to the choice of the next Doctor.

Anonymous said...

Hi everyone, I just found this really random video on YouTube...

Type in

Torchwood Mysterious Ticking Noise

It's hilarious!

Unknown said...

I think that Colin Salmon would make an excellent Doctor. He has acquited himself quite well in film and television. I feel that he would bring a certain bearing and mystery to the role.

Cooled Down said...

I also wrote an open type letter for David... He will be largely missed by myself and millions of others.

You can check out my letter at

http://theroarofengines.blogspot.com/