Friday, February 20, 2009

Exit stage left

Kurly here,
As Anthony officially packed it in recently and this is now a transition time for Torchwood.TV I figured now is as good a time as any to officially give the goodbye I never gave. I never wrote this before because I didn't want to be negative about the show on a site read by Woodies who love the show and probably get enough hazing about it from their friends.

Briefly, I started this page because I liked blogging, and I liked Doctor Who. Series One of the revival had just aired and the announcement of the spinoff Torchwood provided a nice little untouched niche online where I could stake a claim and maybe have some fun writing about my favorite show indirectly. Well within a few months the page started doing better than my expectations, mostly thanks to a high listing in Google and also because a few disgruntled insiders decided to feed us some news during production of the first series.

A year later when Torchwood finally aired, I just simply didn't care much for the show. John Barrowman was great, I liked the existential themes about the afterlife, but overall the stories and the rest of the characters did little for me. As much as I had put into it by that point, and with 8000 daily readers visiting at the time I didn't want to jump off just yet. I figured I would stay positive and maybe Series Two would be better, but I think I knew right then that I was the wrong voice to represent Woodie fandom. You can't have somebody who doesn't like a show in charge of the fan club.

So you probably have figured out that Series Two of Torchwood didn't bring me back into the fold. In fact there are a few episodes from last year I still haven't got around to watching. Also I was pretty down on Doctor Who in general at the time because of the horrendously bad finale of Series 3 in which a shrunken Gollum Doctor is brought back to life by people's prayers. (Not to worry RTD, I have almost forgotten about it following your great Series 4.)

So this post is really just to say thanks to those readers who have been with us for these few years and to wish well whoever the true Woodie is out there who wants to take this site in it's new direction. The Torchwood.TV domain name is for sale for any hardcore fan out there who is interested. (Contact: kurly(at)torchwood.tv)

I really did have a great time writing this blog in the early days, and it was great to be in communication with and meet some of the big names involved with the show. Thanks also to Anthony who picked up the torch here and made a wiser decision than myself by also starting the premier Sarah Jane Adventures site. (Sorry but from my point of view a much better WHO spinoff.)

That's more than enough from me. Long live Torchwood.TV! See you around.

7 comments:

Wayne Nix said...

I'm interested in the domain.

Are you all leaving the site? I just discovered it a month or so ago. I'd be interested in keeping it running.

Anonymous said...

Thank you Kurly for everything

All the best to you in whatever you are doing in the future.

Anonymous said...

You guys should try to sell the site on one of the fan forums. I'm sure there are plenty of Woodies out there who'd be willing to run it with the enthusiasm you guys had when the show was first announced. It'd be wrong for jackharkness to continue to run it from a far if his heart's not in it when there are others out there who love the show enough to give it their all. I'd make an offer myself if it weren't for college commitments and being a bit short in cash at the moment.

P.S. Curley, if your reading. I really recommend you take a few hours to watch series 2 in full. It really is a hell of a lot better than the disappointing series 1 with some great episodes which don't take a huge woodie to be appreciated.

Anthony Garnon said...

Anonymous, fret not! I'm departing myself once "Children of Earth" has completed its run. Why so far off? To give the new team a chance to settle in and find their feet here, with a little guidence from myself. We should have the first couple of new writers hitting the site early March.

Maxwell Hammer, email me at captainjackharkness@hotmail.co.uk for details on how you can join the team.

As for you Kurly, honestly man I owe you so much. I've grown up on this page, in the best possible way. Your posts intrigued me. They left me thrilled and wanting to know what development would occur next. Most importantly, they inspired me - to write here, to create SJ.tv and to stand proud at the frontier of fandom.

Thank you, so very much, for everything.

Springmaus said...

I'm not leaving. I've spent too much time lurking, but I'm going to try my very best to quit that now and actually do something.... :S

Tremas said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Tremas said...

You know what's funny in all of this is somehow I've now secured top billing around here... Whilst I may be the oldest member of the team, I must confess that the sheer inclusion of me to the team was quite a feat of legerdemain on Jackharkness' part...

Remember way back when when we had that essay contest... Jack had some prizes to give, and while I was supposed to win some Torchwood Tchochke, what I got instead was the priveledge to become a writer for the TTV team...

In our American culture we have a book known as Huckleberry Finn, which I read far too many years ago, which could have prepared me for jack's guile... For Huck was able to convince Tom Sawyer to take over his fence painting duties by stating, "This whitewashing sure is fun!"

Don't think me the victim though, I enjoy contributing to the blog, and will happily do so for many moons longer, but if you see jack, tell him he should send a box of Jelly Babies my way at least... :D

-Tremas