Tuesday, June 30, 2009

They Punish the Earth Defenders

John Barrowman is interviewed inside the latest edition of the Radio Times, which is out today. He talks about his disappointment at having Torchwood's third series cut down from thirteen to just five episodes: "I'm going to get a little political and I'll probably get into trouble for it," he says, "but... we were the most successful show on BBC 3, ever. We moved to BBC 2 because the ratings were so good; the ratings were great again and we were beating shows that had been on BBC 2 for a long time. The decision was made to go to BBC 1 - and then we were cut."


He goes on, "The five episodes, the miniseries as I call it, are incredible - I have no doubt about that - but personally, I felt like we were being punished. Other shows move from BBC 3 and 2 to 1, and they don't get cut. So why are we? It felt like every time we moved we had to prove ourselves."

It's a good point. Have the BBC an agenda against the series? What form will series 4 take (if commissioned...)? And just how will Russell T Davies move to America - as he confirmed to Mark Lawson during an interview with Front Row last night - have upon the series' future?

Torchwood: America anybody...?

The Radio Times also has a complete production rundown, that begins January 2008 with the initial scripts being planned, to the completion of post-production earlier this month.

Buy the listings magazine for £1.10. Most of the week's other television and radio periodicals contain information about the show, with interviews with various members of the cast and crew.

***

In day two of its Torchwood: CoE preview, DigitalSpy talks with Kai Owen.

5 comments:

J.M. Ferretti said...

It sure is frustrating being a fan of Torchwood in the US. I can't view the trailers on the BBC website or download the radio plays because I'm outside of the UK. Does anyone know if they will be available to download from iTunes or the like? I'd rather not get up a whole hour early to listen to them - something tells me sleep deprivation won't add to the experience...gah!

Combom said...

full scans of all TW pages are on my blog!

John said...

you should be able to listen to the radio plays even if you are outside of the uk.

J.M. Ferretti said...

Sure, I can listen to them - at 6:15 a.m. That's just a little early for me. Hopefully, they'll be on iTunes...????

Anonymous said...

I think you can listen to it on BBC IPlayer also some of them are on Youtube.