Tuesday, October 17, 2006

Obligatory self-congratulatory post

Today marks the one year anniversary of the launch of Torchwood.TV. That probably doesn't mean a lot to you but to me it means I have to write another check and send it down to Tuvalu, the South Pacific island nation who sells the rights to all dot.TV domains.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v492/MacGuffin3/torchwoodcakecopy.jpg

But more importantly, it's been nice to see this site grow to what it is today with the help and support of so many Woodies. (Sorry, I'm afraid that has stuck now, even JB is using it. I suppose I could brag about being the first to coin that title online a year ago, but there really aren't any other obvious choices) This page started as just a challenge to myself to see if I could write daily columns about a show that was months away from production. I had previously written a blog about skepticism and Atheism that not even my friends and family bothered to read. When Torchwood was announced, I figured that since Doctor Who is also one of my interests I might as well blog about that instead, after all, I certainly couldn't write a page that generated less interest than what I had been doing.

Well Torchwood.TV sputtered along for the first few months featuring only me as a contributor, a few dozen regular readers and not surprisingly very little real news to speak of. Once season 28 of WHO started airing we turned a bit of a corner and lots of people started to care about Torchwood and turned to the small handful of sites who were reporting on the show at the time. We were lucky enough to get some inside information once production finally started and became an important resource for fans who just couldn't get enough news from the Hub.

Now on the eve of the show's premiere, I'm very glad to see this site has become a lot bigger than me or any self-centered goals I may have had at the onset. Thanks again to all our readers and everybody who has contributed, and thanks of course to all the Torchwood production team and cast. Let's hope for many more series of the show and consequently many more anniversaries for Torchwood.TV.

I've rattled on long enough, nothing left now but to say: Enjoy the show Sunday night, you deserve it!

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is a very impressive cake.

Congratulations for sticking it out for a whole year!

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Torchwood.TV. I love this site, It keeps me up to date. ^_^ Thanks! x

Anonymous said...

Congratulations! You have built an exceptional site.

Your number one fan,
mc

Peter Pan said...

Thank you for being Earth Parent to a great site ... or something
x
Paul

Anonymous said...

Thanks for all your hard work. It's very much appreciated, and you should be proud for it!

Congratulations!

Anonymous said...

I've only been coming here a few weeks but its already become an indispensable part of the day.

Keep up the good work and happy birthday!

Anonymous said...

Thank you ever so much. It's a great site and I've been coming here, for 'inspiration' now for a couple of months. Also thank you for RELIABLE news.
Sulamite

Anonymous said...

Happy birthday and congratulations from one of the original dozen! ;) Here's to the next twelve months and the excitement of actually having a show to talk about! :D

Anonymous said...

Thanks for this site. I love it. :D

Anonymous said...

As an important Doctor Who news source has just shut off, I feel it necessary to say THANK YOU before you have a chance to get burnt out! haha -- just try feeling like it's a chore now, my vast and plentiful thankfulness has vanquished any iota (or Ianto) of doubt, hasn't it!!!

Also, I love that Who is a thing that automatically makes dealing with it in any way shape or form sound weird. Specifically your ties to the South Pacific :)