Tuesday, November 07, 2006

My sweet Myfanwy

Those of you who joined the raging debate about what name to give the Torchwood pterodactyl (and you know who you are) seemed a bit upset yesterday after hearing John Barrowman reveal in De-Classified that the crew are calling her Myfanwy on the set. If you take a look on the bright side, his statement makes it sound like the Hub's pet doesn't actually have an official name yet. A nick-name on the set is just that, it's not official until we see something in the script. So perhaps it's just a matter of time before the BBC press office starts a "Name that pterodactyl" contest!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v492/MacGuffin3/myfanwy.jpg

But if you were going to pick a name for the basketball-playing dinosaur you could do worse than Myfanwy. Her bio is at the official Torchwood site here. According to Parenthood.com this welsh girl's name means "My fine, rare one." The tragic love story of Myfanwy is a classic Welsh myth that has been kindly summarized by the BBC here. There is also a traditional sappy Welsh love song called Myfanwy to go along with it, the lyrics are here. Sing along and you won't be able to resist thinking of our special friend at the hub.
Why is it anger, O Myfanwy,
That fills your eyes so dark and clear?
Your gentle cheeks, O sweet Myfanwy,
Why blush they not when I draw near?

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Te he, never thought i'd start a debate!
Bob Myfanwy (still haven't thought of a last name) it doesn't upset me. I like the name. But i can be part of Bob's name. Even if Bob is a girl. She'll still be Bob. I think Bob should have a full name. Everyone else does.
I'm thinking last name should be something
- hub
- rift
- cardiff
- Bay
- Tiger(tiger bay)
anyone else got other last name suggestions.

Jamble said...

The Welshness of Torchwood is a little bit odd - I've never heard so many strong Welsh accents in Cardiff! Only Burnie has come close to a true Cardiff accent so far. But I do like it, and they ought to slip in a few Welsh phrases every now and then. How about Gwen asking for a cwtch from Owen or Ianto asking 'hoffi ti coffi'.
To make up for this lack of Welsh a true Welsh name for the pterodactyl seems very appropriate. I'd also nominate Heulwen or Meleri as suitable names.

Anonymous said...

Myfanwy Price! Who (in under milk wood) appears to be either loving Mr Mog Edwards or not...the Aregoed High School production was a little unclear on that point....

But for a surname? Well, considering Torchwood is based in Cardiff, Wales, I think it's about time we had a Jones!

Anonymous said...

Ianto is Jones! So we can't use jones.

Anonymous said...

My sister has just told me of my stupidity. I was convinced Iantos surname began with a C...don't ask...

Ok, failing Jones, that fallback of welsh names...Davies.

Anonymous said...

What about Myfanwy Llewellyn?

Anonymous said...

Bob Myfanwy Llyewllyn!

Anonymous said...

I cant help but think that Myfanwy
is a reference to Dafydd 's Pub manager friend in Little Britain...maybe its a joke about Capt Jack being the only gay in the village lol or something

Anonymous said...

The nonsense about the Myfanwy of Dinas Bran has got nothing to do with the love song Myfanwy.It relates to"Myfanwy Llewellyn",Joseph Parry(the composer's")childhood sweetheart.She was from Merthyr Tydfil and never set foot in North Wales.....The BBC ARE TOTALLY INNACCURATE

Anonymous said...

I really like that they named the pterodactyl Myfanwy because my name is Myfanwy, and I'm just happy that the cast will know how to spell/pronounce my name. The cast are doing a signing at hmv Cardiff soon, Woop!

Oh, and curse Little Britain for ruining my name!!!