Monday, January 22, 2007

Coping With Withdrawal #2

Still suffering from those Torchwood blues? Don't know how to keep your mind occupied until the DVD boxset hits our shelves later in the year? Or until Torchwood returns for its action packed second season next October? Then look no further, as Torchwood.TV attempts to solve your Torchwood withdrawal problems (guarenteed).

This January if you feel like your missing out on John Barrowman goodness why not head on down to the New Theatre in Cardiff and see the star in a panto version of "Jack and the Beanstalk". Below is a review of the show by Sarah-Jane.tv writer, Peter Pan:

Jack and the Beanstalk ... Starring John Barrowman as Jack, New Theatre, Cardiff, Saturday 20 January

As its my local panto, and featuring our fave Captain (aside from our resident Capt Jack of course!), I thought it would be very remiss of me to not attend. So here goes.

It's a great traditional family panto in every sense of the word. A man playing the Dame, ad libbing a-plenty, a chorus of juveniles to dance and mime along to the big musical numbers and enough audience participation to put The Rocky Horror Show to shame. And quite possibly the greatest panto you will ever see (and believe me, my years working in theatre meant I saw a lot!)

The story, in case you have fallen through the Cardiff rift and don't know, centres on Jack whose family are poor and have to sell the family cow. Sadly, Jack sells her for beans instead of cash and his mother throws the beans out of the window. Being magic beans, they grow overnight into a huge beanstalk that leads to cloud land where an evil giant resides. Being panto, they add in a Princess in danger, an evil henchman called Fleshcreep and a sub plot about the giant ruling over the kingdom.

John Barrowman is a gem. We all know he can sing, dance and act but he genuinely has that rare star quality about him that keeps you transfixed whenever he is onstage. Sadly, the audience weren't as professional as I about panto ...so it usually took me to get the cheers, boos and hisses going and at one point when John outright asked us what had happened to the Princess, the reply of 'Fleshcreep took her' came from me alone. This of course meant that John heard my voice! He even replied! You can imagine how excited I was by that! Then later, as they approached the giants lair and silence ruled, I forgot it was a family show and bellowed out 'show us your captain, jack' at which I got a very reproachful look from JB....oops.

The show was littered with Who references.... Jack has apparently been away at "the doctors", he then brings back Dalek and Captain Jack figures as gifts for his family, when he arrives near the end of the show, while the others have all had an adventure on a golf buggy (including a projected trip around Cardiff and a stop off at Boots for Dame Trot!!) Jack arrives offstage to the sound of the TARDIS. At one point even John got carried away with his ad libs and got a bit saucy and had to remind himself 'Not Torchwood audience... Think Doctor Who, think Doctor Who' which raised a huge laugh. There were several moments where the cast got so involved in the gags and ad libs, they would start a scene again or have to stop as they were laughing so much but it made it all the better for us and was great to see them having such a good time too.

Its still on this week but ends Saturday. If you can get there, please please do! Signed Captain Jack figures are on sale in the foyer for £10 (yes, I got one!) as well as a few other bits of Who merchandise (but not Torchwood sadly, this is a family panto after all).

We did nip to stage door after the show to try and catch the man himself but the crowd was easily 100 strong, so we decided it was too cold to hang about as we had an 8 year old with us (not mine I hasten to add). I am going to nip back during the week and get there before the show ends and be first in the queue!!!

What are you waiting for? End those Torchwood blues now!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

omg i so wanna go see it so so so badly. it sounds so good lol cant believe u shouted that stuff!!!! lol ur not the only 1 hu wants 2 see his captain jack!!!! anyways would be gr8 if u had sum pics on ere too but yeh
luff yhoo all
[sanest ppl eva]

Anonymous said...

I went to the panto on Sunday (1pm show) and had a really good time. Went to this one instead of our local one in Bristol. Took the other half with me I told him I would go on my own if he was not interested as he hates panto but he said he would go and admitted it was great. There was a lot of adlibbing as you said and some forgetting of lines and stealing of other's lines. There was a British Sign Language lady doing the deaf hand signs and the cast were rather inclined to use the word supercally...... from Mary Poppins in its full form on a number of occasions, especially one person in particular (mentioning no names JB). The poor lady had to translate each time and gave up in the end on that one. She did get a big round of applause from the cast, never mind the audience. We went to this one instead of Bristol as my OH also hates Joe Pasqualie and horror - the chicken had Joe's voice. Can't get away from him. The giant was amazing and we thought it was really good how Jack went up on his hand.

We went to the stage door after but it was announced that John was not coming out so missed seeing him. Hopefully will come to Cardiff again and catch a glimpse of him.

It was a really good time and even though we were the only ones there who did not seem to have kids with us I still joined in the fun.

Looking forward to the next panto now.

Take care - Kim

Peter Pan said...

Ah, the flying worked for you then! His wires got caught so the hand thing didnt work when we went .... he and Simon just fell about laughing and had to jump a lot......

Anonymous said...

I'm so gutted. I went on Friday night, the 19th and it was the one night JB was to ill to perform. He must have felt poorly as he never misses a show if he can help it. It was the last day of my week's holiday in Cardiff so I could not go on Saturday when he was better. Boo Hoo. The panto was good though and his stand in was young slim and handsome, a future star in the making. At least I got to see Cardiff and went round all the places they filmed. but hoever many times I say it couldn't be helped and when youre ill youre ill I was still disappointed that I didn't get to see JB. Glad to hear he is better now.

Anonymous said...

when i went on the 10th of january (a day i will never forget in a hurry) i was sat 6 rows from the front. i got a smile and a wink from him *sighs* on more than one occasion. he did mess up on bit but he just laughed at himself. i also brought a signed Torchwood (Captain Jack)poster for £4.50. Which i can say is now above my bed. lol

Robert said...

Fantastic absolutely fantastic, what more praise can I give you !
excellent ! More More More!

Emerald Studios said...

Well I saw it tonight and it was Brilliant I loved it JB Rocks! I got to the stage door and saw JB too!

bluemonkeyape said...

'show us your captain, jack' Classic! Wish I was there....