Thursday, March 29, 2007

"Moaning Old Minnies"

There's an amusing interview with Russell T Davies from yesterday's edition of the free newspaper "Metro" which has now surfaced online. In it, Russell talks about Doctor Who's imminent third season; the arrival of Martha Jones; and the success (and failure) of Torchwood as a series.

"Are you spreading yourself too thin with Dr Who, Torchwood and now the Sarah Jane Adventures?

No, it’s not like the Star Trek franchise when there were three series on at the same time that were practically identical. Torchwood is clearly for adults and Sarah Jane is clearly for children. We worked hard to keep them distinct but I think three will be our limit.

Torchwood had a mixed reception…

What do you mean, a mixed reception?

Some people hated it.

You mean among online, moaning old minnies? We got the highest digital figures the BBC ever got so, frankly, we were laughing. We’re working on ways the second series can be improved, none of which has anything to do with online forums."

Sometimes, you know, I swear that BBC Wales live in some sort of a bubble; away from online forums and the views of their fans. But still, it looks like the production team as a whole have seen some of the minor errors of Torchwood season one and are attempting to fix them up before next year's series.

You can read the full interview here.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

"Sometimes, you know, I swear that BBC Wales live in some sort of a bubble; away from online forums and the views of their fans."

I think you've just proved his point for him.

99% of the people who watch TW never go near the internet to talk about it. These are the people who gave the series very high Audience Appreciation Figures and the best non-BBC1/ITV ratings for a drama series in 2006.

Why should the opinion of a couple of thousand people online be considered more important?

Anonymous said...

I don't think jack meant 'more important'

Anonymous said...

Problem is it's not just internet users who have bashed TW (a bit too harshly for my liking but they do have there points) but members of the Press and even former Doctor's Colin Baker, and Peter Davison have made fun of the series... this really worries me. I hope RTD isn't living in so much of a bubble that it not only stops the moaning minnie comments getting through, but that it also stops the valid concerns getting through too.

Unknown said...

I liked TW... the odd use of bad words was a bit much..sorry... a bit effin much for my effin tastes...(being all adult now.)

But I can't wait until the show returns... but he does say NEXT YEAR... so it is 2008 I guess... that at BSG will make us wait I suppose.

Anonymous said...

They do live in a bubble, but hey, if you think about it, that's good. If they'd read all the bad press about it, (especially from the Guardian, I noticed), then they may not have decided to make a second series. Which would be very, very, very bad.

Anonymous said...

I think they also have to distance themselves from that stuff too, because if they intentionally or not use an idea from an internet forum, people might go, "hey, that was my idea. Give me money". On a much insaner level, this is why J.K. Rowling is not allowed to open anything given to her by a fan without someone opening it and checking over it for her.