Monday, July 30, 2007

John Normington

It's my sad duty to report the death of actor John Normington, who appeared in the Torchwood episode "Ghost Machine" last November. He played Tom Flanagan, a former WWII evacuee who'd relocated to Cardiff following the end of the war. Normington's scenes, coupled with Helen Raynor's somewhat poetic script, packed a real emotional punch.

Normington also appeared in several 'classic' adventures from the original 1963-89 run of Doctor Who. He played the villainous Trau Morgus in Peter Davison's final story "The Caves of Androzani", and starred opposite Shelia Hancock in 1988's "The Happiness Patrol" - a somewhat flawed adventure featuring the horrendous Kandyman.

My sympathies extend to John's family and friends.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I liked him. I hope I get a chance to see Caves, apparently he's good in that too. Is this the first actor death for Torchwood? That's a milestone which had to come eventually, shame it was so soon.

Unknown said...

A sad day indeed. My thoughts and prayers go out to those who were fortunate to have know this man.

curls said...

I was a big fan of the Kandyman! Shame Bassets flipped out about him and the BBC said they would never bring him back on WHO. But I suppose we can always still hold out hope for Torchwood as that wasn't part of the terms.

Anonymous said...

Oh no, poor guy! I knew he was ill, but I didn't realise how ill! I was lucky enough to see him in The Entertainer at The Old Vic in London a few months ago. He was so good in it. It was later announced that he was pulling out of the show due to ill health and another actor took over the role. Poor guy, my thoughts are with his family and friends. :( Josie